The Idiot's Lantern

The Idiot's Lantern

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Tardisode # 5: Rise of the Cybermen

As I watched the Tardisode, a familiar chill started to creep down my back as another childhood nightmare seemed to be reviving...

Cybermen.

Even as an adult, I remember that the Cybermen and the Daleks used to give me nightmares as a child. I'd dream that their spaceships would land in my neighborhood, and I'd watch them file out, unable to run because my legs seemed to be frozen solid. The worst ones were when the Cybermen and the Daleks invaded at the same time!
*shudder*
It's amazing how these creatures can still have an effect on me-not to the point where I'll have nightmares, but they still bring a chill to my spine. eek!

Here, in an alternative timeline, the Cybermen seem to have taken a different course in there creation... John Lumic, Cybus Industries...(or perhaps I'm just forgetting something-my history of the Cybermen is a little fuzzy right now.) Cybus becomes bigger and bigger, and more people seem to just disappear. Gemini-it sounds like it's an underground organization designed to thwart Cybus Industries, and it also looks like the Mickey from this alternative timeline is a part of it.

I wonder if Mondas exists in the alternative timeline (dubbed Timeline B by me for the purpose of this post-classic series timeline will be Timeline A.) ;) In Timeline A, Mondas (Earth's twin planet) was spotted by the South Pole Tracking station in 1986-if I'm remembering this correctly (and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!!!), Mondas was running out of energy, so they wanted to 'steal' the energy from the Earth, and take the humans back with them and convert them into more Cybermen.

Cybermen started off as humans-didn't they? I either watched it or read it somewhere. At the moment, I just don't recall where I heard that. That's the impression I've always had, though-the original Cybermen were 'modified' humans, stripped of emotion, (huh, kind of like Kaleds, without the mutations), who moved (or were banished) to their own planet-the tenth planet, Mondas. Perhaps the creation/development of the Cybermen started at a much later date (1982), and if the Doctor didn't interfere in 2006, events would have followed a similar course to the ones in Timeline A.

Of course, I also could be way off and am thinking about this way too much. That's what happens when lunch plans are cancelled and I've got nothing to do for an hour. ;) LOL.

Kids today seemed to be made of sterner stuff-that, or it takes more to scare kids these days. The kiddies gave this an average Fear Factor rating of 3. During my childhood, Cybermen stories would probably rate at least a 4...

No comments: