The Idiot's Lantern

The Idiot's Lantern

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

School Reunion Review (No Spoilers)

From our British Correspondent

I was truly chuffed when I first heard that Lis Sladen was returning as Sarah Jane Smith for an episode of the second series. Add on K-9 and I my expectations were sky high. So now that I've seen School Reunion, did it deliver or did it disappoint? Well, considering there's been a silly grin on my face since Saturday evening, what do you think?

Hats off to writer Toby Whithouse, who has given Sarah an excellent story in which to appear. No gimmicks here, her appearance is a logical part of the plot as well as adding some important pieces to Rose's story. And although the Sarah here is pretty much the one we all remember, she has plenty of hard questions for the Doctor, some of which he can't honestly answer. Mr. Whithouse also manages to handle 4 companions (surely a record) with ease, and all within a 45 minute story.

Somewhat forgotten in all the hype of the return of Sarah and K-9, Anthony Steward Head very nearly steals the show with his villianous headmaster, Mr Finch. Finch is far and away the best new series villian, and certainly would rank up there among the best of the classic series as well. His confrontations with the Doctor are chilling, with a poolside face-off being the best. There were many rumours going around that Mr. Finch was actually the Master, which I thought was rather silly, but after seeing him in action I now wish he really was the Master!

School Reunion definitely ranks as one of my favorites among the new series episodes, but as a devoted Sarah Jane worshipper, I am a bit biased!

1 comment:

Romana1 said...

*heehee* I know what you mean-I haven't seen it yet(except for a couple of clips, which left me with a silly grin, too), but I predict it's going to be one of my favorites as well. :)

Yay, Sarah Jane! ;)