The Idiot's Lantern

The Idiot's Lantern

Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Girl in the Fireplace Review (Fresh-Not Spoiled!)

By our British Correspondent

Of the first few episodes of series 2, The Girl in the Fireplace was the one I knew the least about. Like most of you, all I had to go on were a few clips and the preview at the end of School Reunion, and from that I thought I was sure of the basic framework of the story. Wow, was I ever wrong!

Since even the slightest hint of a spoiler could ruin (or at least slightly dampen) someone's enjoyment of this most delicate of stories, I'll just say that it's wickedly funny, terribly sad, endlessly quotable, wonderfully acted, brilliantly written, and nicely directed; a surprise present from the BBC that you weren't expecting, didn't ask for, and will cherish forever. Yeah, it's that good.

1 comment:

Romana1 said...

hmm...I tried to leave a comment, but it didn't show up-my apologies if it appears twice.

I'm finally caught up with all the episodes-yay!

I agree, this episode was awesome. I lost count on how many times someone said 'that's a good quote' during the show. :) Moffat totally rocks.

(School Reunion is still my favorite, though-'cause I love Sarah Jane! ;) )