The Idiot's Lantern

The Idiot's Lantern

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Tooth and Claw Review (Possible Slight Spoiler)

From our British Correspondent

After the first visit to an alien planet for the new series in last week's New Earth, this week's episode finds our two time travellers in Victorian Scotland. Trying to take Rose to an Ian Dury concert in 1979, the Doctor instead puts the Tardis down in 1879, bang next to a coach carrying Queen Victoria herself, heading to a manor house that just happens to have something interesting in the cellar...

Overall, Tooth and Claw is loads of fun, fast-paced and scary. On the plus side of the ledger, the two leads are, as always, in fine form, and Pauline Collins make a fiesty Queen Vic, and Euros Lyn's direction is flashy but not distractingly so. I should also make mention of the CGI work on the monster of the story. Very impressive. If there are any negatives, one that stands out for me was the somewhat flippant attitude by the Doctor and Rose throughout the story. I might be in the minority on this point; however, it is actually pointed out by one of the characters within the episode and in such a way that we should possibly expect it to become more of a plot point later in the series. On that level, I'm fine with it, but it is a bit jarring at this point. Other than that, the fight sequence that opens the episode was edited a bit to quick for my taste, but Jet Li or Jackie Chan were nowhere in sight, so I won't make a big deal out of it.

Another excellent episode. Next week: Sarah and K-9!

1 comment:

Romana1 said...

Hmmm...you know, I don't think you are in the minority with that assessment (the flippant attitude)-although I haven't seen this episode yet, I've heard alot of people complaining about it.

*heehee* I can't wait for Sarah and K-9!!! :-D