The Idiot's Lantern

The Idiot's Lantern

Saturday, April 15, 2006

New Earth Review (Spoiler-Free)

From our British Correspondent

If I were to sum up New Earth, the first episode of the new Doctor Who's second series, in one word, it would be 'fluff'. Not in a bad way, mind you, but coming off the dramatics of the last series that's how is seemed to me. If I were to describe the storyline in detail (which I won't to avoid those dreaded spoilers), it would seem quite weighty, similar to, say, The Empty Child, but its various plot threads move along at a rapid pace, giving it that fluffy feeling. In fact, after it was over, I couldn't quite believe that this episode was as long as those from last year. But remember, Rose started last series in similar fashion, so it's hardly a harbinger of some impending doom. Stronger episodes are on the horizon, and soon by the look of it.

As for the cast, both David and Billie are in fine form, with Ms. Piper having to stretch a bit(and succeeding, of course). The Doctor is far more in control here than in The Christmas Invasion, no OTT histrionics or the like. I'm looking forward to seeing how Mr. Tennent does with a meatier story.

Overall, a good if not spectacular start to the new series.

1 comment:

Romana1 said...

Sweet-I can't wait to see the beginning of season 2. :)