The Idiot's Lantern

The Idiot's Lantern

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Mid-Season Review

Now that the current season of Doctor Who has reached the mid-way point, I thought that it would be a good time to look back on what we've seen so far. On the whole (of the half), the season has been of exceptionally high quality on all fronts, a notch or two above last season. Here's how I rate the stories up to this point ('this point' not including The Impossible Planet even though it has already aired), starting at the bottom:

6- Tooth and Claw. All the elements are there for a great story, but they just don't quite come together as they should. Although the main reason I've put it on the bottom is the pre-credit sequence. Not only some of the worst coreographed martial arts I've ever seen, but pointless to boot.

5- New Earth. Not a bad start to the season really, but did we need to have Cassandra back?

4-The Idiot's Lantern. Great to look at, but too many unanswered questions. Like just who is the Wire anyway?

3- Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel. I was hoping for something more, but what I got was still pretty good. And Mickey finally got a good story.

2-School Reunion. This was everything I was hoping for and then some. Not only was Lis Sladen back, but Anthony Stewart Head was brilliantly evil.

1- The Girl in the Fireplace. Bonafide classic that has everything. One to cherish.

1 comment:

Tom Thacker said...

Truth be told, my 2 through 6 choices could easily be interchangable, but Girl in the Fireplace is firmly number 1. For now.