The Idiot's Lantern

The Idiot's Lantern

Friday, August 24, 2007

More on the Scarifyers

Since I am sure I did them an injustice in my description from my last post, I wanted to share with you what was said about the Scarifyers in my BBC7 newsletter:

From BBC7:
"Scarifyers is a new series to BBC 7, and this is its first transmission on radio. To whet your appetite., I can do no better than to include this message from the writer of the series, Simon Barnard, who initially approached me with the project:

"The idea was to combine the Doctor Who 'UNIT' stories from the '70s with Quatermass, but make it faster, funnier and more accessible for a modern audience. The first Scarifyers story tells the tale of how Lionheart and Dunning first meet, and eventually form top-secret government dept MI-13. - It stars Nicholas Courtney ( Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart in Doctor Who.) The entire play was written for Nicholas, so it was very lucky he liked the script! He plays septugenarian crime-fighter Inspector Lionheart, a Bulldog Drummond-style fists-do-the-talking hero. Terry Molloy (The Archers) provides support as Professor Dunning. Dunning takes his name from the central character in M.R. James 'Casting the Runes,' and Dunning is kind of based upon James.
The play opens with him reading his students a ghost story at Christmas, for example. The difference is that Prof. Dunning is actually the world's worst horror author.. -Scarifyers is set in the 1930s because that was such a rich period for supernatural goings-on. The inter-war period was rife with spiritualism. Satanist Aleister Crowley was making headlines, Harry Price (the 'Ghost Detective') was conducting experiments into the supernatural and people actually believed this stuff. If you're going to write a supernatural series, then the 1930s is when to set it.""


additional note from me: of course, we all know Terry Molloy as Davros from the later Dalek stories.

Check them out! I listened to their Christmas special, the Yule Lads and quite enjoyed it. I can't wait to listen to the Nazad Conspiracy! :)

No comments: