The Idiot's Lantern

The Idiot's Lantern

Monday, July 31, 2006

Tom's Season 2 Review

Well, I finally have the time to sit down and put my thoughts together on Series 2. Overall, it was quite good, with more gloss than Series 1 but lacking its cohesion. David Tennent was erratic at times, but like most new Doctors settled into the role as the season progressed. The character of Rose was a little annoying this year, but that's down to how she was written rather than Billie Piper's performance, which was top notch yet again. She'll be missed, but it is time to move on.

As for the individual stories, I will rank them bottom-to-top as I did with my mid-season review. Also, two-parters are counted as one story. Remember, what follows is my opinion on these stories; if your opinion differs please feel free to let me know by leaving a comment.

10)Tooth & Claw- I know this is a popular story, but I found it a bit of a mess. And the pre-credit sequence is just embarrassing.

9)New Earth- A weak and pointless story that goes nowhere. The ending's not too bad, though.

8)Fear Her- Another weak story but a bit stronger than New Earth. Not bad as such, but lacked any real punch.

7)The Idiot's Lantern- A shame that this blog's namesake wasn't better, but so it goes. Definately gets points for attention to detail, but knock a few off for a silly villian.

6)The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit- Another fan favorite that I don't rank as high. A strong basic plot that is nearly ruined by too many holes, but the pluses definately outweigh the minuses.

5)Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel- Too much running around in the first part, but ends strongly. Seems better after watching Army of Ghosts/Doomsday.

4)Love and Monsters- Most fans have this one at the bottom of their lists, but for me it was pure fun. The ending feels tampered with, but otherwise a nice change of pace.

3)School Reunion- I was afraid that this one might not live up to the hype, but there was no reason to be worried. Sarah Jane, K-9, and Anthony Stewart Head. Enough said.

2)Army of Ghosts/Doomsday- I though last year's finale was the be-all-end-all of DW, but apparently not. Army of Ghosts was the best first episode of the 3 two-parters and Doomsday was edge-of-your-seat excitement beginning to end.

1) Girl in the Fireplace- For me, DW is all about the writing and this one trumps them all in that department. Hats off to Stephen Moffat.

4 comments:

Romana1 said...

Hmm...well, after finally watching Love and Monsters, I can see why it is at the bottom of most lists. As my friend Jerm puts it, 'I'd like to see a little more Doctor in my Doctor Who'

It was fun to watch-a fluff piece some would say. It was just a little too fluffy for the point in the season that it was aired-to us, it seemed more like a mid season episode, rather than an end of the season episode...

I swear I'll get around to posting again, really I will. :)

Tom Thacker said...

romana1,
How about a season review for your next post?

Romana1 said...

Well, first I have to watch the last three episodes (looonnnnggg story on why that hasn't happened yet-I'm so ashamed.) As soon as I do, I'll do a season review.

Rose Ghost said...

"Hats off to Stephen Moffat"

Seconded! Love the Moffster! I'm not from the USA but I enjoyed this blog - its fun to see the boot on the other foot for a change (usually it's us UK people who are waiting on a new series of The West Wing or something!)


'I'd like to see a little more Doctor in my Doctor Who'

Good point, although I thought L and M was a very brave story in that it didn't feel it HAD to have the Doctor running everything. It took risks but I'm not sure if it benefitted from doing that. It was a good try at doing something different though. :-)

GhostRose http://touchwolf-org-uk.blogspot.com