The Idiot's Lantern

The Idiot's Lantern

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Make your own Who Scarf

(I tried to post this yesterday, but Blogger was having issues-it crashed on me, and I didn't get the chance to post it until today. My apologies!)

I came across this cool site while looking for more Doctor Who news outlets (in addition to the BBC's site) since Outpost Gallifrey's news page ended. I think this was a featured site at Unitnews at one point. Since it's Halloween, I thought now would be a perfect time to share-in case there are any other knitters out there (or someone you know who's a knitter)-then you can make your very own Doctor Who scarf for next Halloween, or any conventions in between. :)

www.doctorwhoscarf.com is an awesome site-not only does he give the different patterns for the various seasons, but he goes into detail about using different yarns and choosing different colors for your scarf. There's even a little bit of history on what happened to the original scarf.

I learned to knit just so I could make a scarf. LOL. Making a scarf is really easy-it just takes a while. It took me about 9 months to complete mine-and there would be times when I wouldn't work on it at all for a couple of weeks. Here's a picture a coworker of mine took when I was almost halfway done:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
(it's so cool to have coworkers who are fellow Who fans.) ;)

I believe the pattern I used came from the Doctor Who Pattern Book by Joy Gammon, and it's similar to the Season 14 scarf. (starts with purple and ends in a yellow). Also-the Scarf site uses US size 6 or 7 needles-I used size 9, and it turned out pretty good. (I also recommend using circular needles-the stitches will be less likely to fall off your needles when you're not knitting, and as the scarf gets longer, they'll help support the weight so it's easier on your wrists.)

Enjoy!

No comments: